Faith Over Fear 20/20
Saturday, June 20 at Sunset
Create ritual space for separation. Havdalah is the weekly ritual separation of Shabbat from the beginning of the week. As we enter each week through Pandemic and unrest, there is a fragility of the human spirit – what lies ahead, and what lies within? What are my fears and how do I honor them and weave them into my commitment to life this week?
We invite everyone to create an embodied ritual that asks this question:
How do I cultivate Faith over Fear?
- Wine or juice to sweeten and sanctify the moment
- Spices or herbs to represent the sensual connection to the earth and our personal awakening
- Art supplies + a paper lantern or piece of paper
- Matches or a lighter
- Havdalah Sheet
- Use the lantern/paper and art supplies to capture messages of Faith and Fear. The Blessing of Fire is your cue to ignite the night. Light the lanter/paper (outdoors, in a safe space) and enchant your messages.
- Conduct your Havdalah ritual using the Blessings sheet and/or this YouTube video.
- Use your phone to record your unique ritual offering. Please especially capture The Blessing of Fire. Give a brief description of your paper and what separation ritual you are creating for yourself. Email your recording to email@example.com.
- Order Saturday night take-out from a Black owned restaurant using this guide for Los Angeles as an action of solidarity.
We honor your participation as a way for us to give hope to others, create community, and connect through this time.
“Sing unto God a new song.”
If God is already tired, as suggests the Psalm, of hearing the old song, all the more so will ordinary mortals be.
-Alcalay (20th c. Jewish lexicographer)
The Open Temple.
Sing a new Song.